Thursday, July 28, 2011

between worlds, again


How difficult it is to remain just one person. Our home is open, there are no keys in the doors, visible ghosts come in and out at will.
--Czeslaw Milosz


Therefore it is said: And the deeper secret within the secret: the land that is nowhere, that is the true home.



I may not always have looked at things in this way, but the more I travel from land to land, the more I get to know others and myself (and the others in me) -- the more I envisage it thus: no keys in the doors, fewer possessions, fewer certainties, fewer irreversibilities, but always moved by the undying, ever-growing desire to observe and understand, however intolerable, however impossible.

Never comfortable anywhere, but finally beginning to begin to understand in the flesh that home is indeed a profoundly uncomfortable place to be.


No comments: