Wednesday, January 26, 2011

and yet another siren song

At this time of the year I'm way too busy and exhausted with grading, research & all sorts of deadlines looming ahead to be able to devote even a few lines in the small hours to this little corner. Yet, I couldn't resist posting this most wonderful song, with a big thanks to my dear friend Antonio for the reminder. Goodness gracious, I hadn't heard Buckley for ages!

This has also brought back fond memories of a lovely version by This Mortal Coil, which was quite a hit in the early 80s - and justly so.





Tim Buckley, Song to the Siren

Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox?
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks,
For you sing, 'touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow:
O my heart, o my heart shies from the sorrow'

I am puzzled as the newborn child
I am troubled as the tide:
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Should I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing, 'swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you'


*       *       *

There are several versions, with different lyrics, of the song - such as this one:

Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving into your eyes.

And you sang 'Sail to me, sail to me;
Let me enfold you.'

Here I am, here I am waiting to hold you.
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was full sail?

Now my foolish boat is leaning, broken love lost on your rocks.
For you sang, 'Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow.'
Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow.
I'm as puzzled as a newborn child.
I'm as riddled as the tide.
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or shall I lie with death my bride?

Hear me sing: 'Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you.'
'Here I am. Here I am, waiting to hold you.'

No comments: