Friday, February 20, 2009

dis-orientation (3)

Salvador Dalí, L'énigme sans fin


Momentary disorientations may be suspensions in the flow of time, but they are always consequential. Something in you responds - nothing stays the same. Stillness seeks, breaks into movement, and vice-versa. Why should they be opposites? Nothing stays the same. Ever.


DIRECT RESPONSE

The four elements are sitting at the table
There is a shipwreck on the sands
A warm hand in the mist
Flowers turn colour in the mist
Without moving

Sensitive needle at the extremity of breathing
What can you etch upon the eyes' quick web?
Up to your middle in the dewy grass
Whose profile can you sketch upon their filmy screen?

I have long forgotten why I am young
A bird's blue shadow trembles on my breasts
A bird's song blossoms from the water
Till my neck bends back in a curve like stone
And I am neither white nor warm nor cold

from David Gascoyne, Selected Poems (London: Enitharmon, 1994), p. 32.

No comments: