Monday, February 16, 2009

there are days like this...


... when you need to let it off your chest, but are too exhausted & busy & can't find the right words for it. Others can, thank goodness, so here it goes, right from my cherished poetry shelf which keeps me company in these hard times.


This is my desk. This is where I work.
I'm scraping candle-grease off it and
brushing away all the dust that blows in
through cracks during dry spells in the rainy season.
I work hard in my corner, any chance I get,
really I do.

There's an insufferable smell of shit in this small
box which is called, with no sense of irony, my "study".
Wind bringing in again what we leave out again.

And I've been busy. Busy eating, drinking, giving ear,
listening to repetitive nonsense, setting out, getting
a living, watching my children, teaching my children,
making Lesson Plans, filling paper. But do I ever
learn anything? And if I ever do, do I remember it?
Breath, breathe, breath, breathe...


Maurice Scully, livelihood (Wild Honey Press, 2004), p. 134.

No comments: