Thursday, April 28, 2011

the erotics of trust (2)



How often am I aware that others are only dealing with some role I occupy 
in a society, some pantomime I am performing, some set of clothes and 
haircut I am wearing.... while I am thinking for myself and acting on my 
own, behind the image they see!
                                                                                 --Alphonso Lingis, Trust.

*       *       *

It's so rare, but it can happen, even in the least hospitable place for trust.

When someone I know nothing about and who knows nothing about me approaches, nearly touches the real me.

The core me.

Because s/he sees the face without the mask, the (inter)face between body and soul.

Before - beyond - all labels, gender, class, family, country, culture, interests, impossibilities.

Before words, beyond fear.

Evanescent, uncapturable face, but it's there - it was.


It can happen.

No comments: